Kelsey MacDonald

"My Path With Heart"

First Peoples Principles of Learning

Lesson: Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox

In “Sometimes I feel Like a Fox”, students were introduced to the Anishinaabe tradition of totem animals and learned that each child in that tradition has a totem animal that guides them. Each student identified with different animals such as a deer, beaver or moose and explained why they identified with a certain animal that they chose. They had the opportunity to reflect on their own feelings and how they see themselves. With their chosen animal, they created their own mask that represented their personality and identity, seeking to understand themselves and others.

Through social interactions, students  also learned about a local First Nations band (the Dakelh) and the animals that are in the band, making connections that have meaning to themselves (their identity), their local history, and their community.

Students also learned how animals and human are alike in many ways.

This was my first observed lesson in my practicum 490. Overall, it went very well. I was able to engage the students right from the onset as I shared my mask.

By seeing my mask, they were very excited to know that they would be creating their own masks. The lesson focused on students identifying with a certain animal. I read the book, which I now realize was probably a bit too high level for this age group. The book had words such as ‘determination’ which are difficult and long words to take in. My learning for this is to ensure we know our students and the level they are at, academically. Thankfully, throughout the lesson, I was able to explain the longer and more difficult words, ensuring they understood them by adding examples and elaborating on their meaning. In hindsight, it may have been best to summarize the book with powerpoint slides or posters, describing what each animal represented.

Another learning was the length of the lesson. I originally had planned for a single lesson, however it ended up being two lessons. This was okay as we had the time to accommodate this. It is so important to add the times to a lesson plan, ensuring we keep to our timelines.

“Education is our buffalo. It is our new means of survival”

Chief Barry Ahenakew

Learning How to Create Music by using a Mouthbow – Three Linked Lesson Plans

Being innovative and using one’s own imagination can lead to creative things. The art of creating music provides us with an appreciation and awareness of ourselves, our communities, our world, and our history. The mouthbow and its uses has special significance and meaning.

Through the study of history, students gained an understanding of the people, places, issues, and events that have shaped the world they live in.

In this lesson, grade 3 students learned about bows, the mouthbow, music and that many instruments (many made of very basis materials) can be used to create music. Students also learned about their identity and cultures.

Through their social interactions, grade 3 students connected with one another and shared personal experiences that have meaning to them, their families and their communities. Experiences were shared through storytelling and brainstorming, capturing the deepest of expressions to help shape their identity and history.

My  Mouthbow

In our class, we travelled across Canada looking at the similarities and differences across the country. After learning about the land acknowledgements , we met a Canadian legend along the way by the name of Ted Harrison. As a class, we created Ted Harrison’s Brush of Color Paintings. This was a very unique way to expresses our differences and our own uniqueness through our own artistic ability.
During EDUC 491, I made sure to teach my students what it means when we do a land acknowledgments. As a class, we have been learning about our local Dakelh peoples, the peoples of the Lheidli T’enneh.
During my final week of EDUC 491, I was gifted my own drum by a community member. This drum was gifted by Georgina Scully, this drum has the seven scared teachings on it to assure I refer back to these teaching in during my educational journey.
To close my final chapter as a UNBC Teacher Candidate, I said my goodbyes by organizing a field trip at Lheidli T’enneh Memorial Park for one last drumming circle. My students and I in this picture are singing the “Water Song”. This experience has warmed my heart in ways that I will never be able to explain.

© 2024 Kelsey MacDonald