Kelsey MacDonald

"My Path With Heart"

Standard 2

Educators act ethically and maintain the integrity, credibility and reputation of the profession.

In all my practicums, I have maintained a professional approach in all that I have done both inside and outside the classroom, ensuring I model the behaviors that show respect, integrity, and credibility. I have ensured I ethically maintain the integrity, credibility, and reputation of my name, my school district, and the teaching profession

What I have realized over the past few years is the ultimate true importance of building relationships with a multitude of partners that continually enriches one’s journey in the teaching profession.  In my opinion, acting ethically, maintaining the integrity, credibility, and reputation of the teaching profession must be done within the context of building and sustaining strong, positive, and lasting relationships that make possible the journey of being a lifelong learner.

I consider three main relationships that educators need to foster to ensure lifelong success. These are: (a) relationships with oneself, (b) relationships between the student and teacher, and (c) relationships with the community, including the school community.

In order to fully experience ongoing growth as an individual, it is imperative to know yourself – who you are, where you came from, and what your purpose is. This step is important for the educator and further important for educators to encourage students to also know themselves. It is impossible to make meaningful connections with students and others without knowing yourself first. I call this a process of self-discovery. Self-discovery involves the searching of one’s own identity as well as one’s purpose and expectations. During this semester, it has been crucial for me to stop, take a deep breath, and reflect on who I am, why I am here, and where am I going. Essentially, these moments have been ‘check ins’ whereby I have felt the need to stop and take inventory of my own skills, experiences, and perspectives that ultimately have shaped my mindset.

The topic of student-teacher relationships is a popular one and one that has been discussed for years. In this class, I have experienced firsthand the value of educators building positive relationships with their students. Now, more than ever, I realize that my own personal success in this program would not have been achieved if my relationship with my instructors had been in jeopardy. It has made me fully realize how critical it is for educators to initiate that first step in relationship building. Although the student is a necessary partner in developing relationships, I believe that responsibility first falls on the educator. I see student-teacher relationships as a critical and powerful factor in meeting the needs of today’s and tomorrow’s learners. As I prepare to become a teacher, I feel the need to better understand what characteristics teachers need to build relationships. Having been in the school environment and working as an educational assistant, it is important to know what characteristics I need to become an effective relationship builder. I have recognized that being an active listener is a critical component of building relationships, yet know that it takes additional characteristics to master this skill.

I have paid special attention to always make time for relationship building with my students. I ensure they know who I am, something about me, how we connect with each other, and where we are going.

Relationships with community are critical in providing students with the necessary resources they will need to find success in their learning journey. The classroom environment is only one component of learning. I have found it extremely necessary to expose students to the many additional resources available in the larger community. Students are at a disadvantage when such partnerships are not in place. Community partnerships occur at multiple levels. I fully realize that success in schools can only become a reality when relationships are built between and among partners. When community members share and collaborate in the school setting, it cultivates a culture of trust where students with a variety of social and emotional needs have the opportunity to participate in a setting where learning and growth happens together. I recognize the need to continually engage with community partners ensuring I harness all available resources in support of different teaching strategies I will need to support the diverse needs of all of my learners. It is through multiple partnerships that students will be able to feel a strong sense of belonging.

I found found it essential to build positive working relationships with those in the school community: colleagues, administrators, support staff, etc. It takes a village to raise a child – let’s do this together!

I have included my self portrait of who I am as a memento

© 2024 Kelsey MacDonald