Kelsey MacDonald

"My Path With Heart"

Standard 8

Educators contribute to the profession.

WestCAST 2020

(Western Canadian Association for Student Teaching)

A Whole Child Model

I had the opportunity to present at the West Cast conference with my fellow classmates:

.

Mariah Bouchard, Allison Cuthbertson, and Nina Patterson.

THE WHAT

Our presentation focused on the teaching of resiliency through a trauma-informed lens by focusing on aspects of the First Peoples Principles of Learning. We will focus on ways to create resiliency by using all aspects of the medicine wheel; mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual as a hands on representative to encouraging the development of children’s sense of self and identity. We came together and presented on the importance of fostering resiliency in our young learners. We proposed a whole model approach and using the Medicine Wheel as a tool for building resilient learners. In order to teach the whole child we must see the whole child focusing on their spiritual, emotional, physical, and mental health.  Providing your students with lessons on financial literacy, relationship building, physical health, nutrition, and mindfulness are just some ways you can teach your learners resiliency. As a team we recommended using the medicine wheel as a check in tool with your students. Having students reflect on their spiritual, emotional, physical, and mental health daily can help them understand how they are feeling and how they can be running at their best. Daily check-ins with your students will help you reach them and understand who they are and how you can help them as a whole.

Whole Child Car Analogy

SO WHAT/NOW WHAT

As a team one of our biggest takeaways from our presentations and the research and conversations that brought us here, was the importance of being an ally for Indigenous education. We must stand together to be the change we want to see. I have attached a video we made of people we found who stand as allies of Indigenous education.

ICAST

(Indigenous Canadian Association for Student Teaching)

During my time in Vancouver while I was attending the student teacher conference, I had the most amazing opportunity to take part in the Indigenous component of the conference.

My biggest take away from ICAST was a Aboriginal Dance Play online resource that was presented and created by Roxanne Letterlough from Kamloops, BC. This online resource can be used to incorporate indigenous culture into movement and physical literacy. I was able to bring this into my 490 practicum during a Physical Education lesson, after we had completed a unit on the many indigenous cultures that we have in British Columbia.

Ron Brent Elementary Pancake Breakfast

In my first year of the Education Program, my wonderful classmates and I were given the opportunity to volunteer at a Christmas pancake breakfast. This experience was magical, everyone was smiling, big hearts filled with joy and we were given the chance to give back to our beautiful community. This photo symbolizes pure happiness,  the power of kindness and teamwork.

Tony, Allison, Amy and I- DREAM TEAM!!

The Grizzlies

As one of the Co- Presidents of the Education Club at UNBC, the Education Club hosted a movie night in the Canfor theatre January 2020. Everyone who attended this event was given the opportunity and honour to talk with Russ Shepard via Zoom. Russ Shepards film is based on a true story, Russ began his teaching journey in Nunavut and wanted to share his special story with the whole world. Russ noticed after a very short time teaching in the community of Kugluktuk, Nunavut that a lot of youth that were struggling immensely with their mental health. Russ created this film with the intention to bring a global awareness of suicide and mental health realities that a lot of our youth struggle with every day. During Russ’s time in Nunavut, Russ developed a great appreciation for the importance of learning culture and the power of trusting relationship building. Russ brought it upon himself and introduced the whole youth community to the game of Lacrosse. Russ Shepard’s story has touched many youth, people, elders and communities all across Canada. Russ Shepard had an amazing conversation with us teacher candidates via Zoom. Russ left us teacher candidates with a lot of positive words of encouragement and advice while newly entering the teaching profession.

• Never forget who you are, your story and your “why”
  • It is okay to feel uncomfortable, always take risks even if that is stepping out of your comfort zone
  • Never be afraid to learn a new way, culture or tradition
  • Always find ways to bring your passion into your workplace
  • Foster an environment of inclusivity, love, and safety
  • Be real, open, honest
  • If you are unsure, ask

“Those kids are as smart or have more perseverance and character than many kids I’ve met in other areas of the country and world”.Russ Sheppard

Movie Review: Oh yeah, you'll root for “The Grizzlies” eh? | Movie Nation                                       

Student- Led Potluck at the Gathering Place

Additional Workshops I Attended

• Essential Understanding of text and readers Grade 1-2 series (monthly meetings) with District Literacy Teacher Nancy Reid
  • Adrienne Gear Powerful Writing and Writing Strategies
  • Disrupting Misconceptions and Forging Pathways for Students with Developmental Disabilities
  • Exploring indigenous culture through math and code
  • Learning we need: the case of rigorous project- based learning
  • Connection to people, land, story and places
  • Chris Scribe – Supporting Teacher’s and Teacher Candidates with Indigenous worldviews and education
  • Nikki Lineham Math Series (intermediate)
My coaching teacher and I attending Adrienne Gear’s Powerful Writing Structures Workshop.
Exploring indigenous culture through math and code

© 2024 Kelsey MacDonald