Kelsey MacDonald

"My Path With Heart"

#OneWord2021 Reflection

As I enter into my final semester in the B.Ed program, I find myself being able to narrow things about myself and my teaching, all of which I know I will need to continually pay attention to in order to enjoyment and success in my journey as a teacher and as a human being. Collectively, those things all relate to one word in my vocabulary: BALANCE. Balance in oneā€™s life is a necessary ingredient to maintaining and sustaining energy levels that are key in being able to function with the everyday demands of work and non-work related activities. What I am realizing at a fairly quick pace is the need to set boundaries in oneā€™s life. Setting boundaries can be challenging, especially when an individual is constantly wanting to give and give. I am that kind of individual ā€“ wanting to give my care, my compassion, my love, my time, my space, my energy, and my kindness. I am also that kind of individual that sets the bar extremely high, in some cases unattainable and overarching to the point of disappointment. This is unhealthy, a feeling I have experienced in my life both as a teacher candidate and as a human being. I often wondered if a person can give too much. The answer is yes, especially when that person gives more to others than themselves. This moment is when the body is out of balance and when the body allows unwelcomed intrusions to come in, disrupting the necessary equilibrium that the body needs to stay in focus and in touch with itself. I have had experiences where I have felt managed, and in some case micromanaged by my inner self, constantly driving for more and more opportunities to give. These times have resulted in eventual chaos where nothing seems to manageable and possible.

To the teaching profession and to myself, I promise to be realistic with what I am able to give, balancing the ā€˜needsā€™ and ā€˜wantsā€™ of others and myself. I promise to stay in tune and in touch with my inner self, always checking in on where I am at in any moment in time and where I need to be in any moment in time. I also need to check on what I am giving to others and myself.

Metaphorically, this balance is my bucket. For the most part, our buckets are invisible. My bucket can never be too full nor ever be too empty. When the bucket starts filling up, I realize I need to assess whatā€™s in there, what can be emptied, and what needs to be kept. When my bucket starts getting too empty, I realize I need to assess whatā€™s in there, what needs to be added, and what needs to be kept. Balancing oneā€™s bucket is similar to replenishing oneā€™s bucket ā€“ it will take a juggling act and a healthy mindset to care for your bucket and replenish your bucket. I know now that when my bucket gets full, I will not be able to pour properly, and, on the flip side, when my bucket is empty, it wonā€™t pour.

ā€œAll day long, everyone in the whole wide world walks around carrying an invisible bucket. You canā€™t see it, but itā€™s thereā€¦ā€ (McLoud, 2006, p. 4-5). Letā€™s take care of our buckets – the key to a healthy balance in oneā€™s life!

Reference:

McLoud, C. (2006). Have You Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness in Kids. Retrieved from

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1043218.Have_You_Filled_A_Bucket_Today_A_Guide_to_Daily_Happiness_for_Kids

1. Gretchen Vogelsang January 5, 2021

Beautifully put, Kelseyā¤ļø I cheer you on as you journey to find balance!!