Kelsey MacDonald

"My Path With Heart"

Standard 4

Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools.

For a few of my lessons, I invited an Elder in the community to share in the lesson. This was very well received. The lesson was called, “Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox.”

In “Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox”, students are introduced to the Anishinaabe tradition of totem animals and learn that each child in that tradition has a totem animal that guides them. Each student identifies with different animals such as a deer, beaver or moose and explain why they identify with a certain animal that they have chosen. They will have the opportunity to reflect on their own feelings and how they see themselves. With their chosen animal, they create their own mask that represents their personality and identity, seeking to understand themselves and others.

Students will also learn about a local First Nations band (the Dakelh) and the animals that are in the band, connecting themselves (their identity) with their local history.

Students also learn how animals and human are alike in many ways. 

As a teacher, I will always strive to 

• incorporate in my lessons my student’s families and communities, with a focus on respecting each learner and their connections across cultures and communities, land, place, and peoples
  • design each lesson to focus on family and community, fostering a collaborative approach to learning
  • bring in community and families at the center of our learning
  • know my students and families, I ensured I reviewed each of their family network/support
  • real life application, connecting my students outside embracing their sense of self-discovery and place
  • ensure my students learn and foster their history, heritage and the world around them
  • encourage relationships with family and community, with weekly updates about our learning that is taking place in and outside our classroom
  • ensure and encourage relationship building with families and community partnerships by sending out an introductory letter to all students / families welcoming me into their learning space and classroom community

EDUC 491

During both of my 490 and 491 Practicum, I am always wanting to give with all my heart to my community. I had the opportunity to deliver Easter hampers to my schools dearest families.

In this picture, it’s all the hampers waiting to get delivered to our families.
In this picture, this is the trunk of my car. I had the opportunity to deliver 5 hampers to 5 incredibly deserving families.
In these two photos, we celebrated Easter early before Spring Break. In out class, we had the Easter Bunny join us for Easter Pancake Breakfast. The Easter Bunny also left baskets for all students including the teachers.

© 2024 Kelsey MacDonald